If you are an apprentice or trainee in South Australia and employed under a Training Contract, the Office of the Training Advocate can assist you with any question or concern you may have.
We can answer your questions or concerns about the training system and point you in the right direction for further advice.
We can help you to understand your rights and obligations under the Training Contract or we can advocate for you in addressing any problems you may experience as an apprentice or trainee.
The Training Advocate can assist you with:
- understanding your Training Contract before you commence your employment and training or at any time during your apprenticeship/traineeship including information about the probation period
- questions or concerns about the quality of training delivered to you under a Training Contract
- any changes or amendments to your Training Contract
- a suspension of a Training Contract
- the termination of a Training Contract
- questions or concerns about your workplace and duties and/or the supervision provided by the employer
- transferring to a different training provider or employer
- any questions or concerns relating to a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
- addressing any problems that you may experience and/or assist you discuss your concerns with any of the parties involved in your Training Contract (this may be your employer or training provider for example)
- addressing a grievance or dispute through the South Australian Employment Tribunal (SAET)
South Australian Employment Tribunal (SAET)
Under the South Australian Traineeship and Apprenticeship system the SAET is the appropriate jurisdiction to resolve any grievances or disputes which can not be resolved between the parties themselves.
We can assist you with preparing an application to the SAET in relation to a grievance or dispute which may arise during your apprenticeship or traineeship. We can also support you if you are required to attend any meetings which the SAET may arrange. For more details about the SAET visit their website at www.saet.sa.gov.au/ or telephone (08) 8207 0999.
For an overview of the Training Advocate’s process for assisting clients, please view our Flow Chart Example – Client Consultation Process. Flow Chart Example – Client Consultation Process (PDF)
Other information is available at the Training Advocate’s Charter of Functions and Administrative Guidelines.
Charter of Functions (PDF) Training Advocate Administrative Guidelines (PDF)
For information about the South Australian training system including more information about the Traineeship and Apprenticeship System you can visit the WorkReady website or contact Regulation and Contract Management (RCM), Department of State Development on 1800 673 097.
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact the Training Advocate